Welcome to our website


Guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare, children and family services. See which service or professional is best to help you.

Self care

Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over the counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried call NHS 111 or your GP.


If you think you need help urgently during the day or night you should call NHS 111 before you go to any other health service.

By calling NHS 111 you will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call, including from a mobile. You should call NHS 111:

  • When you need help fast but it is not life threatening.
  • When you think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.
  • When it’s outside of GP surgery hours.
  • When you are visiting the area.
  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.
  • If you do not have a local GP to call.


Your local pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest the best medicine to help. There are often pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late.

If your child has a temperature which has not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen see your GP.

Visit www.nhs.uk where you can find the service locator that will help you find the pharmacist nearest to you. 


You will need to register with a local GP. Your GP can advise, give you the medicines you need and point you in the right direction if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment. All GPs will see a child quickly if you are worried.

After 6.30pm weekdays, at weekends and public holidays you can call the GP out-of-hours service on NHS 111.

Health Visitor

Your midwife may be the healthcare professional who knows you and your baby best in the early days. They can help with any feeding problems. Your care will shortly be passed on to your health visitor. Health visitors are there to support you and will visit you at home or see you in a clinic. They offer support and advice and can tell you where to get extra help if you need it. They are part of a team who are there to support you during the early years until your child starts school and the school nurse takes over.

Children's centres

Children's Centres are for families with children under five. The centres offer a wide range of services which include:

  • Health visitor led baby clinics and checks.
  • Play and stay sessions and activities for children and families.
  • Parenting support (including support for teenage parents).
  • Access to speech and language support.
  • Access to midwifery services and ante/post natal support.
  • High quality early learning in safe and friendly environments.
  • Crèche facilities for adult training programmes.


Make sure you see a dentist on a regular basis. Discuss registering your child early on with your dentist and take them with you to appointments.

To find your nearest dentist visit www.nhs.uk

For out-of-hours dentist information call NHS 111.



For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, please call 999.

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness. These may be choking or breathing difficulties, being unconscious or unaware of surroundings, taken poison or tablets, severe abdominal pain.

Local A&E departments in and around our region include Ipswich Hospital and West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.


Select font size
Site colour